Tuesday, August 12, 2008

I have a dream

I'm not writing this from the viewpoint that I'm better - I've screwed-up plenty and have let others down - but I recognize the value of trying very hard to do my best to avoid future bad behavior (but I know damn well that I’ll screw-up again).

It bothers me that "trying very hard to do your best" to be responsible seems to have become unfashionable.

Cynicism toward good behavior has crept into our culture. This is a real danger to us all.

It has become clear to me that America is threatened by this increasingly pervasive lack of expectation of personal responsibility.

A free society depends upon the responsible behavior of its citizens.

As free men and women as part of a greater society it is essential to recognize that we have social duties and responsibilities.

Good social order depends upon our collective fairness, honesty and service to ourselves, our families and our community.

This seemed to be well-appreciated through about WWII and then something happened - but I'm not sure exactly what.

I intend to use this blog to document some of the cases of irresponsibility that I become aware of, and analyze their impact and possible resolution.

I hope that this may ultimately result in development of strategies to restore the expectation of personal responsibility that is so important to our free society.

No comments: